✿ Line Transfer Tutorial ✿
Occasionally I get asked how I go about transferring my sketches onto illustration board. This small tutorial will explain the process.
- Illustration Board (or what you’ll be transferring your sketch onto.)
- A printed copy of your sketch
- Transfer Paper - I use Woodcraft Pattern Transfer Paper
- Red Pen
Why Woodcraft Transfer Paper?
My father, who is a skilled woodworker, first introduced me to this transfer paper years ago and after trying other artist transfer papers since then, I still use this brand. The lines do not smudge or smear even when wet media is applied. They are dark enough to see while painting, and light enough to cover up if needed. The backing of the transfer paper also does not rub off onto the surface below unless pressure from a pen is applied.
- First, I cut and prep my illustration board. I have to tape off and tea stain it before I can transfer anything. Then, I make a printed copy of my sketch. Once that is taken care of, I gather the rest of my supplies.
- I tape my sketch to the transfer paper. These transfer sheets can be reused up to 2 - 4 times, depending on how detailed your sketches are.
- I line up my sketch and transfer paper on top of my illustration board and tape it down. This is to prevent it from moving.
- Using a red pen (I prefer a fine pointed gel pen), I trace over my printed sketch. This requires some pressure to make sure the line art transfers to the board. Tracing over lines using a colored pen also helps me see what is already done.
- I do a quick check to make sure everything is traced.
- Once that is done, I pull off the printed sketch and transfer, and can begin painting!
- I keep my transfer paper afterwards in case I need to use it again. I also store away my printed sketches used for the transfers. (I like to keep all preparatory work done for my paintings.)
If anyone has questions, feel free to send a message!
For more art, works in progress, tutorials, and guides, please visit my page.
238 Notes/ Hide
- lcrw likes this
- raposadanoite likes this
- queharahara likes this
- omegalikesthis reblogged this from heatherkat
- lazylogic likes this
- a-n-t-a likes this
- ryoga523 likes this
- the-blue-pianist2 likes this
- antares16 reblogged this from sarahgrey
- antares16 likes this
- msdoubt reblogged this from sarahgrey
- cnpika likes this
- baroque-boudoir likes this
- swandog-studio likes this
- rainbowwhat likes this
- bleupencil likes this
- coffeewyrm likes this
- cryptosartstutorials reblogged this from the-art-canvas
- frilly-marshmallow-drawsart likes this
- lunarlotis likes this
- the-illusionists-daughter reblogged this from sarahgrey
- the-illusionists-daughter likes this
- astroslime00 likes this
- captainlandon likes this
- simons-home likes this
- oswin-in-the-blue-box reblogged this from sarahgrey
- oswin-in-the-blue-box likes this
- al3x15-does-things reblogged this from sarahgrey
- le-zigui likes this
- allthesamwinchester likes this
- korikian likes this
- perfectlytense likes this
- lambofomg likes this
- lunarjunkie likes this
- ebbywaffle likes this
- gonnagetrealfarkid reblogged this from king-jove
- danishfowl likes this
- kisaragikreations reblogged this from king-jove
- kisaragikreations likes this
- myhiccupsareaproblem reblogged this from king-jove
- sheep-stampede likes this
- lila8080 likes this
- lzaya-san likes this
- usefuls-things reblogged this from heatherkat
- shingeki--no--shit--sherlock reblogged this from sarahgrey
- fourjaycee likes this
- kasumiizumia likes this
- hey-capsicle likes this
- chardash likes this
- blueblur1 likes this